Colm talks to Donegal News about his new record, hopefully to come out by the end of this year. He will be at the Balor Arts Centre in Ballybofey this Thursday 18 July.
It’s That Time Again
Glen’s summer tour kicks off in Chicago this weekend with a pair of shows & a week long stint in the East with the full band (no Colm, fyi!), then it’s up to Canada for some solo shows, then to Europe for all kinds of madness through August. As usual, check in on all the gigs here at the Glen Gigs 2013 page after they happen (remember, we’ve got kids & it’s summer so we might be a little slower than usual!).
It’s been almost 2 months since a big recap, so here’s the haps:
– Conor Masterson’s artistic, full-length film The Frames – In The Deep Shade made its debut at screenings around Ireland, the US & Europe and is now available for sale as DVD and digitally on iTunes. Check out reviews, links & some photos & such here.
– Irish filmmaker Myles O’Reilly traveled with Glen & the band to Italy this past winter and came away with this gorgeous 30 minute film just released last month.
– Glen played some unique solo shows in April & May; a couple of special events in Los Angeles (Grammy Museum & KCRW event), a festival in Cincinnati curated by Bryce Dessner of The National, a few varied gigs in New York City & an orchestrated performance in London with some of his songs arranged by Nico Muhly. Just this week Glen played with Daniel Johnston in London to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Daniel’s record “Hi, How Are You?” & is wrapping up with 2 nights more of orchestrated performances with Nico Muhly in The Netherlands.
– Colm is preparing to release another solo album soon and has played a few solo shows in Ireland with 2 more coming up in July. He’s done a few interviews for Irish radio- Miriam Meets on RTE with his wife Sheila, The Kiosk at Phantom talking about In The Deep Shade & Arena on RTE Radio 1 with Conor talking about the film as well.
– Graham has a shiny new website! Go to grahamhopkinsdrummer.com to keep up with this busy fellow. He’s featured in this month’s Rhythm Magazine, available on the stands now.
– Rob’s been working again with The Butchershop Quartet and their The Rite of Spring project in honor of the ballet’s 100th anniversary, including a few performances in Chicago & New York. More about BSQ & Rob updates here.
*Finally, aside from the usual of the gig pages, here’s a selection of notable photo additions for you to gander!
– Colm shared a photo of what he says is the first ever official gig ticket from 1990! Bonus Colm photo of years of gig passes.
– We added a little gallery of photos here to the Band Members section.
– lots of fab shots from the March 26 Sydney Opera House gig plus ticket & program scans as well for March 25 SOH performance.
– lovely photos from February’s gig in Madrid.
– a few gorgeous shots from the February Milan show
– some photos from the Auckland gig in March
If you’re going to any, enjoy the shows! Keep an eye on us at Twitter & Facebook, we’ll do our best to share good things. xo
(Photos by Peter Sharp, Shakenstir.uk & Zoran Orlic)
Have a look & listen to Colm at the Fiddle Fair just last month…
Recent Colm interviews & upcoming solo gigs
Colm has done a few radio interviews recently in Ireland. You can listen online…
5 May – Miriam Meets on RTE – This week, Miriam O’Callaghan interviews musician Colm Mac Con Iomaire and his wife Sheila McNally.
29 April – With Nadine on The Kiosk at Phantom talking about In The Deep Shade
15 April – Arena on RTE Radio 1 – Colm & Conor Masterson talk about In The Deep Shade
Colm also has a few solo gigs scheduled in Ireland at this point in time. One is this weekend at the Fiddle Fair in Baltimore, West Cork. The other 2 are in July: on the 14th at Inis Oirr Arts Centre on the Aran Islands & on the 18th at Balor Arts Centre in Ballybofey, County Donegal.
Hiya / Update
How’s everyone? We just wanted to say hi and fill you in on some upcoming events in the coming week (there’s many!) & provide a little recap of recent stuff. So here’s a calendar of sorts:
– Glen is playing the MusicNow Festival in Cincinnati Ohio
– There is a The Frames: In The Deep Shade screening at Lincoln Hall in Chicago as well as one at DeBarra’s in Cork
– Glen will join The Love Reading Series at Arlene’s Grocery NYC
– Graham & friends are Square Pegs! This time they will be playing some Chicago Blues, 50’s R&B & New Orleans Blues at Whelans front bar from 7-9pm
– Glen is participating in Poetry & The Creative Mind at Lincoln Center in NYC
– Colm will perform for the Dalai Lama at the Millenium Forum in Derry
– Glen will be at the Glucksman Ireland House at NYU for a discussion about music & songwriting
– Graham & Joe will play with lots of other folks at The Sugar Club in Dublin for a Tribute to Levon Helm. Money raised will go to the Irish Cancer Society.
– Glen joins John Wesley Harding’s Cabinet of Wonders at City Winery in NYC
– The Frames: In The Deep Shade starts a week long run at the Lighthouse Theatre in Dublin
Not to mention, April & May bring lots of Framesy birthdays! Happy happy birthday to Glen, Claire, Joe & Colm, a bevy of Tauruses.
Conor Masterson’s The Frames: In The Deep Shade has further screenings scheduled in LA, Portland, Belfast & Rotterdam for now. You can keep an eye at the ITDS website. We have a page here too with news & links to reviews/interviews as they appear.
Sounds like Australia & New Zealand were a fantastic time for everyone! We’ve got setlists & the usual over here & also some interviews & performances on local radio & the like over here at TV & Radio and here at Features & Interviews.
In case you haven’t poked around, we have pages for each current band member on the site as well so have a click through to Graham, Colm & Rob‘s pages to see what those guys have been up to.
Thanks y’all, have a great weekend…. jenn & shannon
(photo by Ivi!)