Glen’s summer tour kicks off in Chicago this weekend with a pair of shows & a week long stint in the East with the full band (no Colm, fyi!), then it’s up to Canada for some solo shows, then to Europe for all kinds of madness through August. As usual, check in on all the gigs here at the Glen Gigs 2013 page after they happen (remember, we’ve got kids & it’s summer so we might be a little slower than usual!).
It’s been almost 2 months since a big recap, so here’s the haps:
– Conor Masterson’s artistic, full-length film The Frames – In The Deep Shade made its debut at screenings around Ireland, the US & Europe and is now available for sale as DVD and digitally on iTunes. Check out reviews, links & some photos & such here.
– Irish filmmaker Myles O’Reilly traveled with Glen & the band to Italy this past winter and came away with this gorgeous 30 minute film just released last month.
– Glen played some unique solo shows in April & May; a couple of special events in Los Angeles (Grammy Museum & KCRW event), a festival in Cincinnati curated by Bryce Dessner of The National, a few varied gigs in New York City & an orchestrated performance in London with some of his songs arranged by Nico Muhly. Just this week Glen played with Daniel Johnston in London to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Daniel’s record “Hi, How Are You?” & is wrapping up with 2 nights more of orchestrated performances with Nico Muhly in The Netherlands.
– Colm is preparing to release another solo album soon and has played a few solo shows in Ireland with 2 more coming up in July. He’s done a few interviews for Irish radio- Miriam Meets on RTE with his wife Sheila, The Kiosk at Phantom talking about In The Deep Shade & Arena on RTE Radio 1 with Conor talking about the film as well.
– Graham has a shiny new website! Go to grahamhopkinsdrummer.com to keep up with this busy fellow. He’s featured in this month’s Rhythm Magazine, available on the stands now.
– Rob’s been working again with The Butchershop Quartet and their The Rite of Spring project in honor of the ballet’s 100th anniversary, including a few performances in Chicago & New York. More about BSQ & Rob updates here.
*Finally, aside from the usual of the gig pages, here’s a selection of notable photo additions for you to gander!
– Colm shared a photo of what he says is the first ever official gig ticket from 1990! Bonus Colm photo of years of gig passes.
– We added a little gallery of photos here to the Band Members section.
– lots of fab shots from the March 26 Sydney Opera House gig plus ticket & program scans as well for March 25 SOH performance.
– lovely photos from February’s gig in Madrid.
– a few gorgeous shots from the February Milan show
– some photos from the Auckland gig in March
If you’re going to any, enjoy the shows! Keep an eye on us at Twitter & Facebook, we’ll do our best to share good things. xo
(Photos by Peter Sharp, Shakenstir.uk & Zoran Orlic)